Fire in apartment due to exploded power bank: How to avoid such problems? (photo)

April 16, 2024  19:30

In the Russian city of Zelenograd, a power bank exploded while charging, which led to a fire in an apartment in a multi-storey building.

“I left the power bank on the bed to charge. I left the room with the child, and after 10 minutes. smoke poured out. Thank God, everyone is alive and well,” the victim said in a Zelenograd chat on Telegram.

According to her, firefighters quickly arrived at the scene and extinguished the fire. Judging by the photographs published by the victim, the fire did not spread to other rooms, but the main room almost burned down completely. This happened on April 12 in the 18th microdistrict of Zelenograd; no one was injured as a result of the fire.

vapkap-pic4_zoom-1500x1500-18676.jpg (350 KB)

It is not specified what kind of power bank was used and what caused its explosion and fire.

How to prevent fires due to power bank fires?

The Tech editors suggest taking a number of precautions:

  • Buy power banks from reputable brands that follow safety standards. Cheaper or counterfeit products may have inferior components, increasing the risk of malfunctions.
  • Inspect your power bank from time to time for signs of damage, such as swelling, frayed cables, or overheating. Stop use immediately if you notice any problems.
  • Use original charging cables. Incompatible or poor quality cables may cause overheating and cause a fire.
  • Avoid overcharging and do not leave the power bank on for a long time after being fully charged. Overcharging may cause the battery to overheat and potentially cause a fire.
  • Store the device properly in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Do not expose the power bank to extreme temperatures or moisture, as these conditions may damage it and increase the risk of fire.
  • Unplug the power bank when not in use to prevent the risk of overheating or short circuiting.

  • Archive