3 trends in construction that will be relevant in 2024
January 20, 2024 12:10
Innovative technologies, sustainable development and workforce issues, according to many experts, will continue to be more than relevant in the construction industry in 2024. NEWS.am Tech editors present to your attention trends that you should pay attention to:
1. New technologies
Many experts predict that technology will remain a major focus for the construction industry in 2024, based on the dynamics of 2023. The most noteworthy are:
- Drones will be increasingly used for site inspections, security inspections, site mapping and security. They can take high-resolution photographs and create accurate topographic maps, especially in hard-to-reach areas.
- Wearable and workplace sensors. Smart sensors attached to workers' personal protective equipment (PPE) use GPS and biometric tracking to prevent accidents, detect hazards, and monitor environmental conditions such as noise, dust, temperature, and hazardous substances.
2. Sustainable development
In 2024, attention to sustainable construction is expected to increase. Growing consumer demand for green projects is pushing construction companies to adopt more environmentally friendly methods and technologies. Expected innovations in sustainable construction include:
- Eco-friendly buildings. These are buildings designed to consume minimal energy and strive for zero carbon emissions. Such designs improve air quality, reduce energy bills and help reduce overall carbon emissions.
- Green materials. The use of environmentally friendly materials such as recycled building materials, bamboo, reclaimed wood, green steel and rammed earth is expected to increase.
- Integration of renewable energy sources. Construction companies are adopting renewable energy technologies such as passive building methods, solar, wind and geothermal energy systems to reduce global energy-related carbon emissions.
3. Increase in off-site construction
In 2024, remote construction methods will continue to gain momentum due to their sustainability, efficiency and cost-effectiveness. Vivid examples:
- Modular houses. These are homes built from smaller modules off-site and transported for installation. This approach provides a faster and more environmentally friendly method of construction.
- 3D printing. Construction companies are increasingly exploring 3D printing or additive manufacturing for on-site and off-site construction. Materials such as concrete, cement, plastic and even metal are used to create structures layer by layer.